Thursday, December 20, 2012

Lindelof Will Not Write Prometheus 2 Writer explains why he won't be returning to pen the sci-fi sequel.

Prometheus scribe Damon Lindelof has confirmed that he will not be involved in Ridley Scott's follow-up to the summer sci-fi blockbuster. However, the writer did say that there were conversations about where the next would go, based on the events of Prometheus.

"So Ridley and I talked about what [the sequel] might be, and he was excited about doing it," he told Collider. "But then I think what ended up happening was that the movie came out, and there was a reaction to the movie. And I got really wrapped up in [Star Trek Into Darkness], and really wrapped up in this movie that I'm producing and writing with Brad Bird. And I have a TV project that I was really passionate about. Ridley and I had a meeting after Prometheus came out where we started talking again about where this journey would go. And in that meeting I said to him, unfortunately, before he could ask me and go through the discomfort of whether he was going to ask me or not... It's sort of like having a date where you're letting the other person know, 'I'm in another relationship.' So I can't tell you that he asked me and I said no. But I did communicate to him that I was working on these other things.

"The thing about Prometheus was it was a rewrite. Jon Spaihts wrote a script and I rewrote it. And still it was a year of my life that I spent on Prometheus, kind of all in. The idea of building a sequel to it -- from the ground up this time -- with Ridley is tremendously exciting. But at the same time, I was like, 'Well that's probably going to be two years of my life.' I can't do what J.J. [Abrams] does. I don't have the capability. I'm usually very single-minded creatively. I can only be working on one thing at a time. So I said to him, 'I really don’t think I could start working on this movie until I do this other stuff. And I don't know when the other stuff is going to be done.' And he was like, 'Well, okay, it's not like I asked you anyways.' He and I are on excellent terms and it was a dream come true to work with him. But much to the delight of all the fanboys, I don't see myself being involved in Prometheus-er."

Indeed, it sounds like Lindelof has his plate full for the foreseeable future. Those other projects he listed off include Brad Bird's mysterious sci-fi pic 1952 over at Disney, as well as Lindelof's new series Leftovers on HBO.

Nevertheless, Prometheus 2 is likely still a priority for 20th Century Fox, so we're sure it won't be long before a new writer is hired.

Max Nicholson is a writer for IGN, and he desperately seeks your approval. Show him some love by following @Max_Nicholson on Twitter, or MaxNicholson on IGN.


Source : feeds[dot]ign[dot]com

No comments:

Post a Comment